Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: Pizzeria Libretto, Toronto

Pizzeria Libretto I recently visited a Toronto pizzeria that came highly recommended by several friends: Pizzeria Libretto in the west end, at Ossington and Dundas.  Now, coming from an Italian background, I like to think I know a thing or two about Italian food (in fact, I almost never go out for Italian food, because I know that my mom or grandmother could make anything they could serve me, and would make it 1000x better).  The thing about Italian food is that it's not pretentious in any way.  It's simple, it's accessible, it's hearty and it's all about bringing people together.  Libretto did not really strike me as all of those things.  In fact, to me, it seemed a little bit on the pretentious side.


Calamari Bruschetta
We started out with two appetizers - on the left, the calamari, served in a red pepper sauce, and on the right, vegetarian & meat bruschetta (the vegetarian option is goat cheese with asparagus, I'm not entirely sure what the meat one was, because I didn't eat it).  The Calamari were actually quite good, and I enjoyed that they were served with a red pepper sauce rather than the traditional spicy tomato sauce.
The bruschetta was a little over the top for my liking.  (By the way, please NEVER pronounce this as "broo-shetta" when you're around me.  It's pronounced "broo-SKetta").  Now, I know that bruschetta doesn't always HAVE to be the traditional tomato/basil/onion mixture, but this was just a little too "foodie" for me.  It could just be that I'm not particularly a fan of asparagus.  

House-Made Sausage Quattro Stagione Verdura

Between the three of us, we ordered three individual sized pizzas, from L-R: The House-Made Sausage (mine), Quattro Stagione and Verdura.  I know this place prides themselves on their thin crust, but I found it downright "bread-y", especially towards the crust.  The placement of the toppings seemed really random, especially on mine, and the Quattro Stagione.  There were some bites where there were no toppings at all.  (It wasn't even particularly busy, so there should have been no reason for the haphazard placement of the toppings).  The taste of mine was pleasant.  I ended up bringing two (of the four) slices home, because with the appetizer, it was just too much food.

I found it difficult to decide which pizza to order, because nearly every one had at least one ingredient that I wasn't fond of, which isn't really typical at all of Italian food.  

All in all, the food was good, the restaurant was very hip and nice - but with my Italian background, I definitely wouldn't give it the rave reviews that some of my (non-Italian) friends did.  That being said, I'm sure the foodies will love this place!  

Have you been here before?  What did you think?  
Would you visit here, if you haven't?


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I don't know, when I was in Italy I found the food to be very pretentious and delicate. Not like the Italian you find here. And I mean that in a good way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Terroni. Although still pretentious, actually almost Pizza Nazi like. However, still very good.

    P.S. Love the site look, I've always wanted to do something similar as I have a love for great food as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliment! Leave me a note when you get your site up and running - would love to see it :)

    A few people have recommended Terroni to me (and I actually have an acquaintance that works there)... but I haven't really gotten around to it yet. I'm sure I will check it out one day though :)

    ReplyDelete