Friday, March 1, 2013

Brownies....with Spinach!

I’m a chocoholic at heart and I don’t mind admitting it. At any given point in time, there is always chocolate at home, whether the good kind (dark cocoa 70%) or the yummy kind (anything below 70%). I don’t binge on it but it is good to have on hand for those times when you really want chocolate.
 
A while back my sister (she’s a baker) suggested making brownies, but not just any normal brownies: spinach brownies. At first I protested thinking that brownies are only made with chocolate and wouldn't taste the same. However, I decided to give it a chance and see how it would taste. The shocking thing is that they tasted absolutely delicious and they are healthy to eatJ
 
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook: 35 min
Ready in 55 min
  • 1 (10 ounce) package spinach, rinsed and chopped
  • 1 cup all-purpose flower
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozarella cheese
Photo Courtesy: FNChef
 
Directions:
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
 
2. Place spinach in a medium saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook until spinach is limp, about 3 minutes. Remove from her and set aside.  
 
3. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder. Stir in eggs, milk and butter. Mix in spinach, onion and mozarella cheese.
 
4.Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool before serving.
 
A lot of the ingredients on this list I  modified to fit my taste buds and preference. I also substituted mozarella cheese with cheddar cheese. I  used fresh spinach instead of the frozen packaged spinach, and I had slighly less spinach on hand, but it still tasted really good. There is a lot of flexibility with this recipe depending what you are in the mood food. Want your brownies to be spicy? Add some spice. Want more vegetables: Add some mushrooms, onions, red pepper, etc. You can use a lot less butter than it says and it won't have  a big impact on the overall recipe. This recipe is definitely a keeper for me.
 
 
Photo Courtesy: Rita
 
 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. At first when I saw 'brownies' and 'spinach' together, I thought this recipe was all about combining the spinach with the chocolate.. so my immediate reaction was one of disgust! haha. But you mean, just spinach squares in the shape of a brownie... sounds/looks delish! I adore spinach. Will have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. However there are still other advantages that the best free online dating america websites can offer. For one, they have features which will not only attract people to join the site but are also very useful when using the site itself.

    Online Dating Site

    ReplyDelete