Monday, May 6, 2013

Shin Splints hurt



This past weekend I went running with my brother and my boyfriend Thomas. I am still fairly new to running and I am planning on running in a 5km race in June. It was beautiful outside and I needed to get outside since I was cooking all day (Orthodox Easter). The beginning of our run went fairly well and I was enjoying the weather, getting a bit of exercise and just being outside.

About halfway through our run, it started to go downhill. What I mean by that: I got shin splints. When you start out running, it is a common injury that affects athletes in running sports or any physical activity. It is usually characterized by pain the lower part of the leg between the knee and the ankle.

My brother has been running for a few years now and he doesn't get them anymore. He did get them for quite some time in the beginning.

All I know is that as soon as it started, my running slowed down and I had to stop more frequently. My legs felt like lead weight and it was a lot harder to run. Running backwards helped a bit, although that was a temporary fix. I finished the run but I’m in a lot of pain right now. L



Luckily the pain does go away from what I have read. You can also do a few things to make it more bearable if you are in a lot of pain. You can:
  • Take painfillers (i.e. aspirin, ibuprofen, etc).
  • Do physical therapy      
  • Buy arch support to help with flat feet
  • Get proper running shoes
  • Put ice on the shin for 20-30 minutes a day for a few days or until the pain goes away.

I will probably wait a few days for it to go away before running once more. It is a bit frustrating though because just when you start something, you have to stop.

Have you ever had shin splints? What have you done to get rid of them fast?



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I had horrible shin splints about a year ago. It actually stopped me from running. I was thisclose to being put in casts because of them and was not allowed any impact fitness for 3 months. Even the elliptical was outlawed by my doctor. The only thing I was allowed to do was cycling. I'm getting back into running now but it was awful when I had them before.

    ReplyDelete