Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Exercise Apps

Nowadays the majority of the population has access to a cellphone and mostly a smartphone that can do a multitude of tasks.  If you have a smart phone (i.e. Blackberry, Android or Iphone, etc), you have access to thousands of applications that can simplify your life. There are gaming apps, transit apps, finance apps, exercise apps and the list goes on and on. Lately I have been trying to get more physically active than I have been in the past ( I always seem to exercise for a bit and then something happens and I go back into a slump).

I decided to see what kind of applications there are that can help motivate me to get exercising again . I have used Fitocracy  in the past and it is a great app, however somewhere down the road I slacked off and haven't been using it that much.

The weather seems to be really unstable nowadays even though it is summer time and that is definitely one of the reasons why I am not exercising as much. I don't go to a gym and working out at home is a hit or miss a lot of the time due to time and space limitations. The exercising apps are a way for me to push myself outside of the box and just go for it.

I ran across RunKeeper a while back and have been using it with some success. It's a great application that tracks your activities through GPS. You can track your speed, calories burned, the routes that you exercise and much more. I am finding that this is more interactive than other apps that I have used in the past. It is motivating to see when you achieve longer distances or you beat your old running times. Depending how competitive you are, you can even challenge yourself and your friends who use the same app and compare scores. There is a free account and if you want to compare your history runs, you can always upgrade to a higher level. I am sticking to the free account for the time being.

Runkeeper


Gym Pact

I stumbled upon this application last week by accident. I was searching for ways to get side income and this came onto my radar. It is an application you use to challenge and motivate yourself to exercise. Each week you set a goal and how much you are willing to pay per missed workout if you don't exercise. For every work out, you get paid around $0.30-$0.40 cents. In order for a workout to count, you have to exercise at least 30 minutes.

Every week all the people that miss a work out pay the one's that didn't miss a workout. It is not a lot of money, but the concept is great. You can also change the amounts, freeze or delete your account if you have to go on vacation or want to leave the program.

I am going to give this app a try and see where it takes me. This is a new concept for me and I am going to challenge myself to see how far I can get with this app.
Have you attempted to use an exercise app to get you moving again? Which apps have you used? Fitocracy? Runkeeper? Gympact? Nike Running? Were you successful and if not how come?






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment