Saturday, August 24, 2013

Paper Pennant Banner Tutorial


I'm getting ready to post the reveal of my super awesome craft room... but in the meantime, here's a little tease and sneak peek, as well as a tutorial on how to make a pennant banner to spruce up your home.

For my banner, I wanted something that will remain up on my pegboard pretty much year round.  My walls are painted light grey and turquoise, and the bins that I coordinated the space with are a nice pea green, so I chose two patterned papers that pull both those colours in.  And since this is my craft room, I thought it would be nice to have the word "create" on the banner.  You, of course, can choose any patterns, colours or words to suit your space and theme.  Or keep it wordless!

Supplies:
Patterned 12x12 paper
Paper Cutter
Pencil
Ribbon and/or Twine
Adhesive
Hole Punch

Optional:
Cricut / Chipboard Letters / Alphabet Stamps
Ink
Other Embellishments

Method:



1. I started by splitting my 12x12 paper in half, so it became 6x12.  Across the top (on the back, unpatterned side), I made marks at 1", 6" and 11".  Across the bottom, I made marks at 3.5" and 8.5".  This allows me to get 3 triangles out of each 6x12 piece.  Draw a line connecting the top and bottom pieces.

2. After the lines are drawn, trim using your paper cutter. For my project, I used two patterns, and needed 6 pieces, so I only needed half a sheet from each piece of paper.




3. Once all your pieces are cut, plan out your design.  I used the Songbird cartridge on my Cricut to cut out the word "create", and also a small scalloped frame to sit behind the letters.  When the letters were cut, I used some turquoise ink around the edges to define them a bit.  If you don't have a Cricut, you may want to use chipboard letters or alphabet stamps, or even just cut out letters freehand, if you're good at that kind of thing!

4. This is the point where you can embellish to your hearts content!  Add glitter or other decorative elements.  I just used the little frames behind my letters, because I don't want to get tired of looking at the banner too quickly, and I find that can happen sometimes when things are too embellished.

5. Once you're satisfied with the look of your pennants, it's time to punch holes - I chose 1 inch from either side, and about 3/4" down.  If you're feeling ambitious, you could even sew the ribbon across the top of the banner, and skip the hole punching part.

6. Next, you'll want to string your twine or ribbon through the holes.  I find it easier to start from the end (ie the "E" in create), so that I can space my letters evenly with the correct amount of ribbon at the end.  I used twine to string my banner, so I chose to add a little bit of blue ribbon, tied in a simple knot, in between each letter to give it a bit more colour.




That's it! You're done! Display your banner proudly and let it inspire you to create more!   If you make a pennant banner for yourself, please share your links in the comments! I'd love to see what you come up with.




Linking up with:


Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Super Cute Banner!
    Thanks for sharing this over on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party, it was great to have you over. I would have loved to feature this tutorial had the images been a little bigger as I did find them a bit small to see exactly what you are doing in each of them.
    I look forward to see your craft room unveiling.
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so sorry you found it difficult to see... If you click, they do become bigger! I'll consider that next time I write up a tutorial though. I usually like to have my images with text wrapped around them except for the main images of the article... maybe next time I'll try it out with large tutorial images instead.

      Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete