Friday, February 24, 2012

Zucchini Sweet Potato Fritters

I LOVE Pinterest! I'm pretty sure I use Pinterest nearly every night to inspire my dinner creations... and I'm glad to know that I've in turn inspired lots of other people's dinners through my Primal Living board!
This recipe is a riff on something I found on Pinterest - Zucchini Fritters by AlexandraCooks.com. As soon as I saw these, I knew I wanted to try them... but I thought I'd make them a little more primal friendly, and see if I could make them using only ingredients in the house.  I cut the amounts too, because it was only me eating dinner, and I didn't think they would reheat very well at work, where we only have a microwave.

Fritters:
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1/4 of a sweet potato, grated
- sea salt
- pinch of almond flour
- 1 egg
- sage, oregano, (or your choice of spices) salt & pepper to taste
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 tbsp butter

Tzaziki:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- salt to taste
- squeeze of lemon juice

Method:

Process part 1 1. Grate your zucchini and sweet potato (I used a mandoline) and place in a colander.  Add salt to draw out the moisture.  The original recipe asks you to allow the vegetables to drain for 30 minutes, but I found that even after that time, they were still retaining A LOT of moisture.  What I did was grabbed the vegetables in my hands and squeezed them out, repeatedly.  After most of the liquid was squeezed out, I pressed it between sheets of paper towels 3-4 times, to draw out additional liquid.  I added the almond flour (seriously, just a little sprinkle) and let the veggies sit in the colander while I mixed the tzaziki.

2. To make the tzaziki, add all the items to a bowl and mix well.  Taste to make sure the salt is okay, then chill in the refrigerator until the fritters are done.

Process part 2 3.  Add the egg, spices and lemon zest to a bowl and whisk.  Once incorporated, add the vegetable mixture, plus the red onion.  Stir it all together.

Process part 3 4. In a large frying pan, melt the butter and form three (if you followed my measurements) circles from the batter.  Flatten them with a spoon, because they won't spread very much naturally.
I had it set to medium-high heat (around 6 on the dial) and wait for them to brown.  It may take a little longer than you expect, but check them every couple of minutes.  I think mine ended up taking at least 7-10 minutes on each side.

5. Once they're cooked, serve with a side of the tzaziki, and enjoy!



zucchini sweet potato fritters


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment