Monday, January 21, 2013

Pineapple & Avocado Salad

When I was coming up with our menu plan last week, I was searching for a side dish for this coconut chicken dish.  I love coconut flavour, but there aren't too many veggies that go with it!  So I started to think about fruits instead, and instantly thought of pineapple.  I started my research for a pineapple salad or salsa on pinterest, but most recipes led me to something containing sugar.  In my opinion, pineapple is sweet enough on its own, so you definitely don't need the added sugar.  I based my recipe on this one, but I made significant changes to it, so... here it goes!


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 of a pineapple (about 1.5-2 cups)
  • 1/4-1/2 cup diced red onion (depends on how much of the flavour you like)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice 
  • squeeze of lime juice
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 avocado

Method:

1. Core your pineapple,  chop it into small pieces, and add to a mixing bowl. Add your diced red onion.

2. In a measuring cup, add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, orange & lime juice, and spices.  Whisk together.  (I squeezed half of a medium sized orange, and got about a quarter cup - so I decided to dice up the other half of my orange and add it into the salad - anything goes here!)

3. Pour the dressing over the pineapple & onion, and mix to allow the flavours to incorporate (let it sit about 5 minutes) - in the meantime, peel and cube your avocado. 

4. Add the avocado to the salad right before serving.  Try not to mix it too much, because the avocado will mush up a bit, and you want the chunks to be whole when served.



Enjoy!



Pin It

1 comment: