Strawberry Buttercream Icing:
- 1 lb strawberries (you won't use all of this in the recipe)
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Crisco (my secret ingredient!)
1. Take your strawberries, wash them and slice 'em up. Puree them in a food processor, blender, Magic Bullet, whatever you have. (I used my Magic Bullet and it worked like a charm.
2. In a mixer (I used my trusty KitchenAid), take your butter & salt and cream them together. Once the butter is smooth, slowly add your icing sugar.
3. Once that's smooth, add 4 tablespoons of the strawberry puree, plus your vanilla extract to the mix. It'll get a little bit liquidy, so that's when you add in the little bit of Crisco. That will give it the smooth, icing texture, the bakery-like taste and the nice colour. (I'm pretty sure a purist would never use Crisco in their buttercream... but seriously, try it.)
Add the icing to a piping bag... screw on a tip, and pipe away!
Voila! You're done!