Saturday, April 2, 2011

Strawberry Buttercream Icing

Here is a relatively easy recipe, that is going to blow your mind.  I actually made these a couple of weeks ago, and haven't had time to blog about them... but they were totally devoured when I brought them to work.  The boys loved them!



Strawberry Buttercream Icing:

  • 1 lb strawberries (you won't use all of this in the recipe)
  • 1 1/2 sticks butter
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 3/4 cups icing sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup Crisco (my secret ingredient!)

Method:


1. Take your strawberries, wash them and slice 'em up.  Puree them in a food processor, blender, Magic Bullet, whatever you have.  (I used my Magic Bullet and it worked like a charm.




2. In a mixer (I used my trusty KitchenAid), take your butter & salt and cream them together.  Once the butter is smooth, slowly add your icing sugar.









3. Once that's smooth, add 4 tablespoons of the strawberry puree, plus your vanilla extract to the mix.  It'll get a little bit liquidy, so that's when you add in the little bit of Crisco.  That will give it the smooth, icing texture, the bakery-like taste and the nice colour.  (I'm pretty sure a purist would never use Crisco in their buttercream... but seriously, try it.)


You can let your icing chill out in the fridge for a bit while you make your cupcakes.  I added the rest of my strawberry puree to a plain vanilla cupcake... the taste was good, but the muffins fell a little flat, I guess because of the extra liquid, so I'm not going to share that recipe. I'll hunt down another recipe for next time instead!
Add the icing to a piping bag... screw on a tip, and pipe away!

Voila! You're done!



Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Ummm. I'm totally trying it this weeknd! I have a recipe for a strawberry cake if you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOoooooOOOooooOOooOoOOOOOOoOoooOOoooOOoooOoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just set a reminder to myself to get the recipe and email it to you!

    ReplyDelete