Sunday, July 24, 2011

Romance Yourself frosting


Sometimes I want traditional icing, sometimes I want buttercream and sometimes I want cream cheese or sour cream icing, and who knows what I will want tomorrow, because sometimes I just want something new. So something that makes a pretty glossy cake is whipped frosting. Not as easy as traditional icing but I am sure you can do it. After all if I can do it - you can. This was on a lemon cake with lemon custard and lemon jelly in the middle. Tart and sweet can't be beat. Other things that would be good - gooseberry, blueberry, cranberry, current, blackberry, lindonberry, etc.


Whipped Frosting:
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract **I sometimes use almond or other clear colour extracts, the coloured ones if you use too much can tint the icing - even watch the vanilla one.**
In a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a saucepan of simmering water, combine 3 large egg whites, 3/4 cup sugar, a pinch salt and 1/3 cup water. Cook over medium, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high until glossy, stiff peaks form (do not overbeat), about 3 minutes; reduce speed to low, add 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, and beat just until combined. Use immediately.


Pin It

2 comments: