Chilli con pollo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- about 1/4 of a red onion
- 500 grams minced chicken
- spices to taste (I used chilli powder, chipotle pepper, cumin and garlic powder)
- 2 cups chopped tomato (tin or other preserves)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1/2 chopped red peppers
- light sour cream
- light marble cheese
- garlic bread or tortilla chips
1. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan. Add the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until soft. Increase heat & add chicken. Cook for about 6-8 minutes or until the chicken is browned - break up any lumps with a wooden spoon.
2. Add the spices and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato, tomato paste and water, and stir well.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the brown sugar, kidney beans & red peppers and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Spoon into bowls & top with cheese and sour cream. Serve with garlic bread or tortilla chips.